Tips for Graduation-Party Success
Well, you’ve done it! You’ve gotten your child through school and now it’s time to celebrate. Whether your loved one has recently conquered college, high school or kindergarten – a celebration is in order. Small or large-scale events, it’s important to mark these occasions. As a personal family member used to say, “You swallowed the hog, don’t choke on the tail!” Get busy planning a graduation party that he or she will remember for years to come. Here are some helpful tips to get you on your way:
- Pick a date/time. You may want to choose a date that is a few weeks after the actual graduation to ensure that you are not competing with too many other graduation parties. Be flexible with time – some people may be able to come for all or a portion of the party.
- Set a budget. This is key; it will determine the rest of the party decisions.
- Theme/decor. Graduations are a great time get outside. The weather is warmer and the hours of daylight are plentiful. An outdoor barbecue is a perfect way to get people together; just make sure you plan for rain (i.e., rent an outdoor tent, or have an area where there is some sort of cover, if needed). If the party is in the evening, playful outdoor lights are a fun and inexpensive way to spice up an area.
- Menu. The age group will determine the menu. For instance, kindergarteners may be better suited for pizza and punch, while college grads may enjoy some pulled pork and a tasty brew! Or maybe something a bit more offbeat is what you’re after like a Taco Bar, or whole hog roast!
- Guest list. Budget and space will determine the number of guests. You can choose to keep it small and intimate, or expand into outer social circles.
- Invites. Whether you choose to buy or make invitations, make sure to include the date, time, theme and suggested attire. Evites are also a great way to go – and they’re free!
- Cake. No party is complete without a great cake! Your child has earned his/her braggin’ rights and cake is a terrific way to share in that success!
- Ask a pro. Caterers are ideal party-planning resources. Give one a call. They can work with you based on budget and ensure your party is not soon forgotten.